OahuOahu is Hawaii’s playground, from the nightclubs of Waikiki to the pounding waves of the North Shore. This is Elvis’ Blue Hawaii, a pineapple capital, the birthplace of modern surfing.
Waikiki Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
Hawaii’s most famous beach is the place to be seen doing nothing at all. Grab your sunscreen and a mai tai, then soak up the sun on the shores where Gidget once bopped and Duke Kahanamoku brought surfing to the masses.
Some of the world’s biggest waves touch sand on Oahu’s North Shore. Rub shoulders with champion surfers in funky Haleiwa or find your own (smaller) swells at Kawela Bay.
Lanakai Beach, Oahu
Lose the crowds and discover hidden beaches and quiet beauty. Scenery look a little familiar? The Windward Coast is where you'll find Kualoa Ranch, filming site for Jurassic Park and Lost.
Pearl Harbor, Honolulu
Honolulu is Oahu’s historic heart, home of Iolani Palace, where Hawaii’s kings and queens once ruled. Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial are only a short drive up the coast. And don’t miss the sunrise from iconic Diamond Head – this once-in-a-lifetime view is worth the early wake-up call. For the best value, book an Oahu vacation package today and save!
Oahu Road TripOahu is full of famous tourist sights, but with a little effort (and a rental car), you can circle the island yourself. Pull over for perfect photo ops and grab a bite Hawaiian style – it’s all up to you with this DIY tour.
- Try a crack seed - Make your first stop a crack seed shop. (We recommend Lin’s Hawaiian Snacks.) These preserved fruits are a mouthwatering local treat; salty, sour and sweet. Grab a bag to go and hit the road, heading south along the coast.
- Take the plunge - After rounding the southern tip of Oahu, you’ll find yourself cruising the Windward Coast, Oahu’s eastern shore. The coast is full of secluded, nearly empty beaches for a quiet splash, but if you’re up for something more daring, take a leap off of the cliffs of China Walls.
- Grab a plate lunch - Food trucks line the northern coast to feed starving surfers, and each one claims the best plate lunch around. Loco Moco (hamburger patty, gravy and an egg, sunny side up), garlic shrimp, teriyaki, or kalua pig – all served with two scoops of rice and a hefty helping of macaroni salad. You won’t be leaving the North Shore hungry.
- Make a field trip - Your grand tour comes full circle as you cut south through pineapple fields at the heart of Oahu on your way back to Honolulu. It’s a short drive, but a stop along the way at Wahiawā Botanical Garden will give you a lush tropical backdrop for some stunning vacation snaps.
For information on activities and tours, call one of our Oahu Activity Centers.
Oahu Vacation Deals
The Royal Hawaiian
3 Nights with air from $835Widely known as the Pink Palace of the Pacific, this Waikiki resort exudes an air of timeless luxury. Distinguished by its unique hue and soaring turrets, the resort has been a favorite among well-heeled travelers since it opened its doors in 1927. The hotel embodies the essence of Hawaii while offering a luxury experience geared to the needs of the modern traveler.
Why We Love It:
- Location, Location - Sandwiched between Waikiki Beach and Kalakaua Avenue, Hawaii’s most fashionable shopping district, the resort is a tranquil retreat in the midst of all the action.
- Living History - Join a guided tour of the resort and learn about the hotel’s historic artifacts and sacred grounds.
- The Private Beach Area - Dotted with the resort’s signature pink umbrellas, this patch of paradise offers the perfect respite on bustling Waikiki Beach