MauiWide sandy beaches, warm breezes and luxury resorts - when people think romance in Hawaii, they think of Maui. But Maui isn't just for lovers and honeymooners. Take a day or two away from all that sun and sand to discover the rest of the island. (Don't worry, the beach will still be there when you get back.)
This former whaling hub in West Maui has changed a little since the 19th century. Now it's a sprawling resort area, offering everything from 5-star luxury hotels to more affordable condo rentals that are perfect for a group getaway.
Maui's chic resort area, home to pristine beaches, manicured golf courses and upscale hotels. Slip on your sunglasses and channel your inner celebrity as you lounge by the ocean.
House of the Sun
This dormant volcano is the center of Maui and according to legend, a center of Hawaii itself. It's here that the demigod Maui trapped the sun to lengthen the day – Haleakalā, House of the Sun. Reserve your spot ahead of time to be one of the lucky few to see the first rays of the rising sun over the summit.
Road to Hana
Maui's most famous stretch of highway runs along the north shore of the island. Stop at as few or as many of the beaches, waterfalls and local hangouts you pass to create your own vacation – all you need is a rental car.
Maui’s Road to HanaThe narrow, twisting "Road to Hana" is popular for all the right reasons. You'll pass great scenery, roadside stands and take in some retro Hawaii atmosphere. Bring a camera, a good pair of hiking shoes and a laid-back attitude towards the speed of traffic around you.
- Hang out in Paia - A classic, quirky Hawaiian surf town at its best. This half-mile stretch of shops, restaurants and local hangouts is a great place to people watch, grab a bite and pick up unique souvenirs for your friends back home.
- Get your banana bread to go – The road to Hana is lined with small stands selling fruit, snacks – and banana bread. Every stop claims to be the best, so you'll probably have to try a few.
- Visit the Garden of Eden – Ten miles into your drive, you'll reach the Garden of Eden. This lush 26 acre botanical garden is packed with native Hawaiian plants and picture-perfect overlooks. Take a breath, re-center, then head back to the car.
- Choose your waterfall – Wondering why all those cars are parked along the road? The drive to Hana is famous for its waterfalls, and your new favorite is just around the next bend. Some, like Twin Falls, have parking lots, amenities and a steady stream of visitors. Others are simply a well-hidden hike off a generous shoulder.
For information on activities and tours, call one of our Maui Activity Centers.
Maui Vacation Deals
Aston Kaanapali Shores, MauiWhy We Love It:
- Maui nō ka ‘oi (Maui is Best) – Discover for yourself why Kaanapali Beach was once named America’s Best Beach
- Best of Both Worlds – Enjoy the comforts and conveniences of a condominium with the amenities of a full-service resort and suites as large as 2,000 square feet
- Great Value on Maui – Up to four people can stay in a one-bedroom suite and up to six people in a two-bedroom suite at no additional charge.
- Cultural Activities Included – Experience opportunities to learn hula, lei making and more plus a weekly Polynesian Revue.
Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, MauiWith an idyllic setting on Maui’s southwestern shore, the resort offers a tranquil spa, an adults-only pool, a golf program and enchanting spaces for kids make this the perfect choice for a Maui vacation.
Why We Love It:
- Ocean Lullabies - With Ocean View rooms so close to the water, the sound of waves will provide the soundtrack to your dreams.
- Welcome the Outdoors In - Every room features lovely indoor/outdoor spaces with inviting lanais (balcony). Book a sundeck rooms for larger outdoor spaces.
- Floating Cabanas - Adults looking for quiet spaces will love the privacy of cabanas perched over the adults-only infinity pool, offering endless views of sky and ocean.
- A Water Wonderland – With four water slides, a swim-through grotto, splash zones for younger kids and spacious family cabanas, the NALU Adventure Pool will provide thrills for Kids of all ages.
Sheraton Maui Resort & SpaThis oceanfront resort in the heart of Kaanapali, Maui features recently renovated rooms and suites ideal for honeymoons.
Why We Love It:
- Legendary Setting - Anchored by Puu Kekea (Black Rock), the resort offers awe-inspiring vistas – more than 80% of rooms feature ocean views. Don’t miss the sunset cliff dive ceremony, a tradition since the resort first opened in 1963.
- Welcoming Gathering Spaces - Here, the backdrop is the hero. From the newly imagined lobby with its expansive lanai to the restaurants and bars overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the 142-yard lagoon pool he resort’s recent renovation has created inviting spaces made for bringing people together.
Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria ResortWith stunning ocean views and gardens rich with tropical flowers, the Grand Wailea offers a picture-perfect setting. Stylish accommodations, a magnificent spa and a beautiful pool reserved for adults only promise a romantic getaway, while an endless array of activities for kids make this resort the perfect choice for an upscale family vacation.
Why We Love It:
- The setting - The resort is located on what's hands down our favorite beach on Maui.
- The pools - Nine pools on six different levels are connected by a lazy river, intertwining waterslides, rope swings and the world's first water elevator. Those looking for a little quiet time can escape to the Hibiscus Pool.